Saturday, October 25, 2014

Omni-stereo speaker for a small room

In one of my previous articles I mentioned that I enjoy sound that travels some distance, before arriving to listener's ears. I'm not going to write long boring article how I arrived to final design. In short- I found out that in small room, single speaker with stereo channels firing from one point sounds better than a pair of stereo speakers. My goal was to make a speaker which I would place nearby and still have an illusion of distant spacious sound. For large rooms typical pair of speaker does adequate job.





Trying different ways of mixing stereo channels.
In terms of sound precision, nothing beats mono coaxial speaker.
What do I mean by sound precision?
It is difficult to put into words, it has to be heard. 
Analogy would be a photo in focus (coaxial mono)
and photo not quite in focus (all other configurations)

Final result is below.
Sub-woofers are in isobaric configuration.
I am happy with this speaker, although I'd rather split it
in 5-6 ways for greater dynamics. But that would be another project.
Green graph is frequency response at listening position
(both channels playing )
 Crossover is pretty basic, but works well.



No comments:

Post a Comment